Saturday, May 16, 2009

Donations for Godfrey


Hey! Do you want to knit a beanie like this one? (check out my November 3rd post about Zimbabwe) You can download it yourself, right here, from the button to the right. (I am getting SOOO tech savvy) It's free..... but there's more to it than that! Read on...

My friend Godfrey spends a lot of time alone as a Camp Attendant in Hwange National Park in Zimbabwe. He was so hungry to learn, to work with his hands, to create. I taught him to knit, and he was crazy for it! He can sell or trade the knitted items he makes. (although he and I laughed at how knitting makes him much more attractive to the ladies!) But, he has very limited resources available to him in Zimbabwe. He has a set of size 9 (US) 16 ” circulars and dpns, and I just sent him a small box of Patons SWS.

So, I’m looking for donations of yarn, needles and beginning knitting instructions. He wants to learn how to make socks and blankets! These can be sent directly to Godfrey or to me.

I will send another package to Godfrey in June. Perry and I are returning to Africa in January. We have a Land Rover in Cape Town, and will drive through Zimbabwe on our way to East Africa. I will take a care package to Godfrey as well as the rangers of Hwange National Park containing basic supplies such as socks, shoelaces, flashlights, boots, fresh fruit, hats, etc. Godfrey will get the extra bonus of knitting supplies!

Let me know here, in the comment box, what you want to donate, and where you would like to send it.

2 comments:

  1. You are do a beautiful thing. I replied to your post on the Ravelry RAK group. I just wanted to read the blog to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth,
    Am not good with blogs...I would like to send Godfrey a care package of yarn, needles and patterns. How can I contact him directly?
    Please and thank you,
    Rachel
    my user name is
    knittyknatmummy on ravelry

    ReplyDelete