Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Dreaming


This dream began without any introduction, as dreams are wont to do. I was just merged into a series of ongoing events......

I was supposed to do something for Uncle Lou, and had not been able to find him. Later, he found me and asked 'Where were you? I needed you!' I explained, and told him I would definitely be there for him the next time. So - the dream shifted to a situation where I was standing outside some kind of venue - maybe a church, or a meeting hall, or perhaps an airport. I stood there, watching, as all of the adult men I've known walked out of this place (much as we stand and watch people walk off an airplane at the airport, looking for our family or friends) the fathers of my childhood friends were there - Bruce Buell, Ken Bueche, some of my teachers, Uncle Johnny and Uncle Henry, Don Fox, Orrin Curtis... and many more. Then Dad was there, and he walked up to me with a big smile and said 'Hi Sport!' and he hugged me. We walked along, holding hands. I could FEEL his hand in mine. So warm, so big. Then I told him I had to find Uncle Lou, because he needed me to take care of him. And Dad said 'I know you do, but I've sure enjoyed spending this time with you.' And as he walked away I felt his hand slip out of mine, and I knew I would never see him again. But it was okay - we'd had that last moment together, and I knew he loved me. Then Uncle Lou walked up with a big smile and said 'I knew you would be here!' And I said of course, I wouldn't miss him a second time. And that was that.


I had this dream more than 10 days ago, and I still vividly remember it, and the emotional intensity of it remains.

No comments:

Post a Comment