Friday, August 30, 2013

Straight Jackets for your Brewski - knit & felt your own!


I insist on a polychromatic Life, and that includes my afternoon beer delight.  These hot little numbers keep my beer cold, my hand warm, and the color doesn't stop.

The weather has been sublime here in Jackson, so I've consulted my palette of yarn colors from Knitpicks, hefted my sticks and had a color jam.

These are easy to knit.  Size 8 (5mm) dpns, or if you have a clever gene, a size 8, 11" circular.  I double strand Knitpicks Palette yarn, a total of 100 yards.  But a worsted weight, feltable wool could be used as a single strand option.  I also use Knitpicks Wool of the Andes and Cascade 220 this way.

Cast on 40 stitches, place a stitch marker, join and work your own color dream for a total of 40 rounds.

I kind of like this pattern combination of 3 colors:

Color #1:  CO and K 10 rounds

Switch to Color #2:  K 4 rounds (I just tie on color # 2, and carry #1 for the next stripe)

Switch to Color #1:  K 1 round (Here I break off Colors #1 & 2, for simplicity)

Switch to Color #3:  K 7 rounds

Switch to Color #1:  K 1 round (Break off Color #3)

Switch to Color #2: K 4 rounds (Carry Color #1 up the back)

Switch to Color #1:  K 13 rounds

P one round

Begin Decrease:
Rnd1:  K6, K 2tog* repeat to SM
Rnd 2:  K5, K2tog* repeat
Rnd 3:  K4, K2tog* repeat
Rnd 4:  K
Rnd 5:  K 3, K2tog* repeat
Rnd 6:  K2, K2tog* repeat
Rnd 7:  K
Rnd 8: K1, K2tog* repeat
Rnd 9: K2tog* repeat
Break yarn, thread through stitches and pull tight.

Weave in any ends, and try to adjust those color jogs.  Then use your favorite felting method.  I throw mine into a top load washing machine, with hot water and an old pair of jeans.  I find it still needs a bit of hand felting, to get a good thick fabric.  Shape around a bottle or can, and let it dry.  Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment